Thursday, November 13, 2008

things happen in three's

This has been a crazy week for our kids. Ashlyn fell down the stairs on Friday night and landed on her elbows/forearms on the brick landing. She hit hard, and I have to say that I am surprised that she didn't break anything. I fully expected to pick her up and see bone sticking out of her arm, and by the grace of God she just had a large scrape. Her angels were watching over her for sure and I was shaking for a long time. That being said, she still has some discomfort and swelling in the area. I took her to the clinic on Monday morning to have it checked out because she was having some pain but because she could use her arm fully, they wouldn't do an x-ray. They said that unless it's obvious, they don't want to expose her to radiation unless necessary. *sigh* I was told to bring her back if she's not feeling better in 2 weeks. Well, I am not going to wait that long. If she is still having pain through the weekend then she is going back and I will not leave without an x-ray. My mommy gut just feels that something is not right.
And then Sunday night, Skylar dropped a wooden easel on her foot. I took her to the clinic on Monday night because she was having a hard time, even though she managed to make it through school AND volleyball practice. They did an x-ray and determined that there wasn't a break (which I figured), but needed to wait until the AM for a Radiologist to look at it, so they put her in a shoe just in case there was something going on. Well I got a call Tuesday morning to get her in for a walking boot because she does have a few areas that appear to be fractured, but they aren't for sure. So we have an appt. tomorrow with an Orthopedic dr. and she will more than likely have to have an MRI so they can see the injured area more closely. It's going to be a fun day tomorrow.
And then yesterday morning, Debbie called telling us that Emily had fractured two of her lower vertebrae (at least that's our understanding) because she fell out of her bedroom window. She was being kept in the hospital overnight and should be sent home today. She was in a lot of pain and will have to wear a back brace for awhile, but thankfully there should be no long-term damage. We really don't know what she was doing sitting in her bedroom window, and it's a second-story window, but she was evaluated and found that she did not try to harm herself, which is what our first thought was.
So, it's been quite interesting around here to say the least. I am still nursing my ankle, but it is feeling better, which is a good thing.
I am just hoping that this is it for awhile, my mommy heart cannot take any more.
I'll be back soon with some scrappy projects. :)


I thank you so much for your kind comments! :) Have a beautiful day.